Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Lists

It seems time has accelerated ever since the end of August. The spirit of football is palpable in the atmosphere. Department stores are already getting a head start on Christmas décor. The temperatures are slowly dropping, and a little bit of daylight is being shaved off the tail end of every single day.

Since we still have a few months left until we embark on 2011, I seem to have an endless list of things to complete. And speaking of busy months, October is fast approaching and it will be a month of exciting activities for me. I literally have something going on every weekend. Normally, I would celebrate my birthday in October, but I’ve decided that I will not age this year. Instead, I will regress slowly back to my youth. Eventually, I’ll be the oldest looking twenty-year-old anyone has ever seen.

As I type this, there is a dirty old man across from me in the café where I’m working on writing my book. He was hitting on me earlier, but I think he finally got the hint that I wasn’t in the least bit interested. So, he has resorted to pulling his cap down strategically over his eyes to appear to be sleeping. From where I am, I can see him watching the young girls as they learn, laugh, lounge, and walk back in forth to get their Venti triple-shot skinny mocha lattes. There, I’ve managed to use alliteration and an oxymoron in once sentence. Checkmark for today.

Which got me thinking about other things that creep me out. In honor of the coming “creepy” month of October (and my non-birthday), here are two lists - things that creep me out, and my bucket list (in no particular order):

Things That Creep Me Out (or just make me cringe sometimes)

1. Dirty old men (saw that one coming, huh?)
2. Gummy, dried up gunk on the rim of the ketchup bottle
3. PDA (see earlier blog)
4. Getting a paper cut in the web of my fingers
5. Nails across a chalkboard
6. Snakes
7. The words “pebble, nibble” and “dribble” (don’t ask)
8. The smell of stuffed bell peppers and meatloaf (sorry, Mom)
9. Hearing someone else throw up (I’m a sympathetic puker)
10. Maggots, and people who don't wash their hands after they've used the bathroom (I consider them one in the same)
11. The layer of scum on my teeth after I’ve consumed something sticky or sugary
12. Bad spelling
13. Bad grammar
14. Techno music
15. Being trapped in a small space and running out of oxygen

My Bucket List (subject to change without notice)

1. Go skydiving
2. Professionally record and produce a CD of my own songs
3. Visit Australia, Italy, Ireland and Germany
4. Own/drive a 1967 Shelby Mustang GT 500 (that car is sex on wheels, see Gone in 60 Seconds)
5. Go hiking in the mountains and/or vacation in a mountain cabin in the winter
6. Learn a new language (I’m only fluent in two: English and Sarcasm)
7. Marry the love of my life
8. Build my dream home
9. Fill it with the sounds of children’s laughter
10. Attend at least one NFL game at the Cowboys Stadium
11. Go mach-10 with my hair on fire while riding in a fighter jet
12. Publish my book (and write another one, or two...)
13. Open/fund a shelter for abused animals
14. Find another arrowhead (I’ve only ever found one, but I constantly scour the rocks looking for another)
15. Leave this earth, knowing I kept my faith, lived life to the fullest, and made a difference in someone else’s life

That’s all for today. Short and sweet. Like me! Oh yeah…and a little bit of sarcasm thrown in for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment