Wednesday, November 3, 2010

November Blog Series: Day 3

Good morning, friends! Welcome to day three. It’s also Wednesday, which means we’re only two more days away from Friday. Yippee! Have lots of things planned for this coming weekend, but if I write about them now I’ll jump the gun on any ideas that may present themselves as potential writing material. You’ll just have to wait and see what I manage to pull out of my hat next. Could be entertaining.

Today is "National Let Someone Have The Last Word" Day. I have never been one to try and have the last word. I’m a lover, not a fighter. However, when I feel passionately about something, I will assert myself when necessary. And rather than broach that subject at length, thus leaving too much room for my mouth to get me in trouble, I will include some of my favorite words intermingled in a handful of my favorite quotes listed below (not all of them are credited)...

Jesus said, "The Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you, not in mansions of wood and stone. Split a piece of wood and I am there; lift a stone and you will find Me." (from the Gospel of Thomas)

"For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together." (Colossians 1:16-17)

“Woman was taken out of man; not out of his head to top him, nor out of his feet to be trampled underfoot; but out of his side to be equal to him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be loved."

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." - Ronald Reagan

Claire: "What is true love?"
John: "True love is your soul's recognition of its counterpoint in another."
Claire: "It's a little cheesy, but I like it."
John: "I read it on a bumper sticker."
- Rachel McAdams & Owen Wilson, The Wedding Crashers

"You've got to be kidding me. Grandparents forgetting a birthday?! They live for that s--t!"
- Molly Ringwald, Sixteen Candles

Hamish: "Where're you goin'?"
William Wallace: "To pick a fight."
Hamish: "Well...we didn't get dressed up for nothin'."
- Mel Gibson & Brendan Gleeson, Braveheart

"Do you know what music is? It's God's little reminder that there's somethin' else, besides us, in this universe - harmonic connection between all living beings, everywhere, even the stars."
- Robin Williams, August Rush

"Play the sunset."
- Richard Dreyfus, Mr. Holland's Opus

"You are a great champion. When you ran, the ground shook, the sky opened and mere mortals parted. Parted the way to victory; where you'll meet me in the winner's circle... and I'll put a blanket of flowers on your back."
- Dakota Fanning, Dreamer

On the first rule of flying:
"Love. You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her home."
- Nathan Fillion, Serenity

“I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat, but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small when you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances, but they're worth taking
Loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making
Don't let some hell bent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out, reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance”
- lyrics from “I Hope You Dance” by Lee Ann Womack

"...So was I once myself a swinger of birches.
And so I dream of going back to be.
It’s when I’m weary of considerations,
And life is too much like a pathless wood
Where your face burns and tickles with
the Cobwebs broken across it, and one eye is weeping
From a twig’s having lashed across it open.
I’d like to get away from earth awhile
And then come back to it and begin over...
...I’d like to go by climbing a birch tree,
And climb black branches up a snow-white trunk
Toward heaven, till the tree could bear no more,
But dipped its top and set me down again.
That would be good both going and coming back.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches."
- excerpt from "Birches" by Robert Frost

Most of the above quotes are on my Facebook page as well. I actually have tons of favorites, but I would end up typing nonstop for the entire day.

I wish you all a blessed Wednesday, my friends. May you never cease to experience enjoyment in the beautiful rhetoric that allows our language to ‘feel’. May you always find humor and poetry in this wonderful ride called ‘life’.

And if you must have the last word, make sure it is a kind one. For we are not promised tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment